October 5, 2012

My creative bug...

The last few weeks I've been feeling, for lack of a better word, crafty. Or maybe a better way of putting is that I've been needing a creative outlet.

In an effort to satisfy my creative bug I dug out some fall flowers from my foliage stash and designed a (if you could call it that!) a fall arrangement (see previous post!).  That didn't do the trick.

Something about the fall always seems to bring out this need in me to go junk shopping.  I know, I know. I'm weird like that.  Anyway, the SeƱor was out of town so I put on some comfortable (i.e. ugly) shoes and hit the local junk store circuit. And yes siree, some treasures were found!

I'm mad at myself because I didn't take any before pictures but the short of it is I bought a filthy old beat up antique frame and turned it in to a pretty jewelry frame. (Of course, pretty is in the eye of the beholder!)

Ta Da!



First things first, I had to clean it up real good.  Once that was done I broke out the Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint and gave it a first coat.  After allowing it to dry I gave the frame a light sanding and went back over it with a second coat, allowed it to dry and gave it a second sanding.  Since I was going for the "shabby chic" look I went over some areas more than others allowing much of the original finish to show through.

Next I took a piece of project board from the craft store, cut it to fit the back of the frame and covered it with what I call a "french-looking" fabric.  The fabric is a dark taupe color and has a lovely script handwriting in black scrawled across it (in French of course!).

I then cut a piece of mesh screen to fit the inside of the frame (where the glass would normally fit).  This screen is what some call radiator screen and can be purchased at Lowe's or other hardware stores.  This particular screen has small cut outs in the shape of clovers.

After inserting the mesh screen (I used a staple gun to secure it to the frame) I took the fabric covered project board and stapled the board to the back of the frame as well.  The fun thing about the mesh screen is it allows small glimpses of the fabric while also providing ample places to hang earrings or hooks for hanging necklaces, bracelets or any other accessories of your choosing.



I am pleased with how it turned out and believe I will try my hand at a few more.  This frame is for sale in my Etsy shop along with a few other little trinkets.  If you think you might enjoy a jewelry frame pop over and take a look.  My shop is BRAND NEW and would love some traffic.  There are just a few little items there now but keep checking back as I plan to continue to nourish this creative bug of mine!

No comments: