August 26, 2009

The Boys of Summer

"But I can see you-
Your brown skin shining in the sun
You got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby
And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone"...
Don Henley



Oh, a beach town...a beach town in the summer. Can it get any better? Such a simple way of life. Little diners full of folks in flip-flops looking for a home-cooked breakfast, funky souvineer shops and a grocery store with aisles packed chock-full of float toys, chairs, umbrellas and coolers.

Everything and everyone moves just a little bit slower.

On the beach you see little kids run in and out of the surf, laughing with delight as the waves kiss their feet. Buckets and shovels in hand constructing sandcastles in the sand.



The beach draws families, couples, groups of young pretty girls and boys strolling hand in hand.

There are runners and joggers and walkers. Couples with strollers introducing the newest member of their family to this wonderland.

And, of course, there are always a few folks like me who aren't so "postcard perfect", book in hand watching another beautiful, tranquil, fabulous day at the beach pass before my eyes.

There's also pelicans and gulls and kites and an occasional game of volleyball and then there's the surfers...oh the surfers!



For me, the beach is the ultimate "therapy".

It presents me with exquisite beauty - the simple things in life I've mentioned here.

When Don Henley wrote The Boys of Summer I imagine he was referring to romance and a girl. As for me, the words also bring about thoughts of a very different love affair - my love affair with the sea.

..."and I can tell you my love for you will still be strong, after the boys of summer are gone"

No comments: