July 22, 2012

"You're Off To Great Places"...

In the past few months my nephew turned 18 and graduated from high school.  

I still remember his graduation from kindergarten like it was last week.  

He's 18?  

How on earth did this happen?  

We often hear cliches concerning time and how quickly it can pass but honestly nothing could prepare me for the realization that my "Little Dude" is suddenly 18 years old and heading off to college.  

As an infant he introduced me to a depth of love I never knew existed.  

As a toddler he brought uncompromised joy.  

As an adolescent he brought about adventure and sweetness to my life and opened my eyes to the world as a young boy sees it.

As a teenager he has been my pride and joy.  Yes, my pride and joy - even on those days when he was testing the limits of his teenage years.

In celebration of his birthday and graduation The Señor and I took him to what many consider to be the greatest city in the world - New York.  We did all the touristy things and some not-quiet-so-touristy things.  We took in some baseball, saw a show, took a carriage ride, ate, ate and ate some more.  Yes, we had some fun!   











His years as an adult are on the horizon.  There is a great big world out there and I hope he will take advantage of his opportunities and take in as much of it as possible.  

I anxiously look forward to what lies ahead for him.  

I want for him all that is good and healthy and successful.  Realistically I know it won't always be that way.  

So, I pray.

Prayers for wise decisions.  

Prayers that he will realize the importance of an education - and get one!

Prayers that he will steer clear of harm's way. 

Prayers that he will never forget the value of self.

Or the value of family.

Or the value of prayer.

So "Little Dude", in the words of the very wise Dr Suess I say to you -

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it Kimberly! And I feel ya darlin! They growing up fast fast fast! And I dont like it. Time is flying away waaaay too fast for my taste. I love you!! ~ Brent

Anonymous said...

Taylor is such a NICE person (and cute) he will go as far as he wants in this world.
Loved your post - caused a couple of happy tears in my eyes.
God bless you and the whole family.

Alicia