August 22, 2012

I'm Back On The Path...

Well folks, tomorrow I'm going to share another yummy yet healthy recipe with you.  If you haven't figured it out, I'm on a health kick.  Actually, let's just call it what it is, I'm on a weight loss program.  I am now an official member of Weight Watchers on line.

Weight loss and weight gain are no strangers to me.  I have gained and lost, lost and gained always.   The past 10 years have found me at my largest and most unhealthy ever.  Quiet frankly, I've done little to correct it.  Why you might ask?  It's simple.  I've been really happy!  I'm head-over-heels in love with a man who loves to cook, loves good food and loves to eat just as much as I do.  We've been having so much fun that I just haven't been willing to make the sacrifices necessary to lose the weight.  Until now.

There have been many times in the past decade (the length of time I've been carrying around extra weight the equivalent of an adolescent child) that I started on a health kick only to become discouraged.  I would then become lax in my efforts and at at some point say "what the heck" and go eat a dozen salt and vinegar at Buffalo Wild Wings.  After that my motivation would take a nose dive and things would go downhill faster than the paverbial snow ball headed for hell.

On the other hand, there have been a couple of times in my very distant past when I got on the right path and I stayed there for some time.  As long as I walked that path I was at a healthy weight.  The path is called Weight Watchers. 

Needless to say I left the path long ago.

So what's changed in the past couple of weeks to steer me back to the Weight Watchers path?  Here's the God's honest truth.  I woke up one morning with the realization that I am sick of being fat.  I'm done.  

I know I am capable of losing the weight.  I've done it before (albeit not as much as I need to lose this time ).  

I have come to this realization:

With the right research and effort the Señor and I can cook and enjoy great food together.

With a little bit of planning we can enjoy nice restaurants and a lovely bottle of wine.

With a healthier body we will live a healthier life style and that will open up even more opportunities for us to enjoy our life together.

Why did these things hit me on a random morning of a random day?  I have know idea but I do know that the resolve I feel now is much like the resolve I felt on a similar morning in 1989.  With that resolve I was able to wake up several months later 65 pounds lighter.

So, I'm back on the path.  It's going to be a long journey but one well worth the ride.

Remember, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

Week 2 = minus 4.6 pounds


1 comment:

Angie said...

I'm in the same boat, m'dear! (But you knew that!) This time around I had to wait for my sweetie to get the resolve too. He is the motivator to get me out of bed every morning to exercise (walking) and I am the motivator to eat healthier. So far it's working! Our goal is to maintain the walking and healthy eating indefinitely, not just until we lose some weight. We still eat out and enjoy our wine, but usually only on weekends. I'm looking forward to cheering along your progress!