September 24, 2012

A yummy and healthy dish...

I love discovering yummy new food choices; especially when they are both yummy and healthy.

My latest discovery is spaghetti squash.  I have always heard how good (and good for you) it is but was intimidated by its appearance.  This past week I decided it was time to broaden my horizons and  give it a shot.  By the time it was roasted and on my plate I felt like a very silly girl.  It is quiet simply one of the quickest and easiest dishes I have ever prepared.  This particular recipe comes to us complements of www.marthastewart.com.

Spaghetti Squash With Garlic

Prep Time 15 Minutes     
Total Time 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yields 4 servings

Ingredients

2 spaghetti squash (2 pounds each)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, slivered
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a fork prick squash several places.  Place on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until soft to the touch, about 1 hour.

2. When cool enough to handle, halve squash crosswise. Scoop out seeds; discard.  Scrape flesh into strands.

3. In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat.  Add garlic; cook until fragrant and just starting to color, about 4 minutes.  Add squash; season with salt and pepper.  Cook, tossing frequently,  until squash is very hot, about 5 minutes.

Cook's Note - Holding squash half over a wide bowl, use a fork to scrape the flesh into long, thin strands.

Salute!


No comments: