November 20, 2009

I Will Play (Or Work!) For Gumbo...



Boy, I do love me some gumbo!  

And it hit me from out of the blue yesterday that I had to HAVE some gumbo before the day had ended!

Well, those of you who know the Senor and me know that he is the gumbo cook in this house.

You see, I can follow a recipe with the best of 'em.  But to create something from scratch is a whole 'notha story!

But, for some reason yesterday I was feeling a bit brave so I did a little reading...

consulted with the Senor via telephone...

dropped in on grocery store heaven - aka Central Market...

and here's what happened next...

Step 1

Poach Chicken

To a large pot add:

3 cups water
1 chicken breast (with skin and bones)
5 chicken thighs (with skin and bones)
1 onion, quartered
1 celery stalk, quartered
1 small carrot, quartered
1 teaspoon salt
2 springs of parsley

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  When chicken is done remove the chicken pieces from the pot and place the on a plate to cool.

Step 2:

Strain the broth through a sieve and discard the vegetable/herb mixture.

Step 3: 

Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bone from the meat, shred or chop the meat in large pieces and set to the side if using soon or store in airtight container in the refrigerator for later use.

(This recipe can also be done using a whole chicken.  It is my favorite way to poach chicken and can be used a million ways!)

But, back the gumbo!

Step 4:

Measure the broth and place it, along with enough canned broth, to equal 4 1/2 quarts in a large stock pot.  Bring to a boil.

Step 5:

In a skillet melt a pat or two of butter and add:
1 green Bell pepper (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
3 stalks of celery (chopped)
(Known by those amazing chefs, the Cajuns, as "the trinity")
Saute over medium heat (do not allow to brown) until very soft.

Step 6:

Add 1/3 cup of jarred roux (I used Kary's Roux which is available in most grocery stores) to the boiling chicken broth and stir constantly for 10 minutes or until it is completely dissolved in the broth.

Step 7:

Chop 1 link of Andouille sausage (don't use regular smoked sausage.  Andouille is a Cajun sausage and can be purchased in specialty meat shops or from the Internet) in small pieces and brown in a skillet over medium heat in order to cook off as much fat as possible.  Remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.

Step 8:

To broth/roux mixure add:
Softened combination of onion, celery and Bell pepper (trinity)
Shredded chicken
Browned Andouille sausage
1 Bay leaf
20 turns of black pepper grinder
Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 - 3 hour or until broth has reduced some and gumbo is of a thickened consistency.

Serve over cooked white rice and with crusty French bread.  Garnish with green onions if desired.

And if I do say so myself...


Laissez les bons temps rouler

or

Let The Good Times Roll


8 comments:

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Yummy this sounds good. I have to try it. Great post
Maggie

Marie said...

that looks so good i am going to have to try it. thank you for stopping from sits. I am glad that you did. keep up the great job that you have been doing.

Julie H said...

Looks yummy! I've never had gumbo!

Unknown said...

Oh Kim that gumbo sounds DELISH!!!

just stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving

VetTech said...

It's a little like religion and a lot like sex...you should never know when you're gonna get it next!

bj said...

This sounds amazing. In my whole, loooong life, I have NEVAH made Gumbo. I can see I am going to have to try this one!! And, crusty French bread is my absolute down-fall.....:)
Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving with that sweet Cate!!
xo jean

Wendy said...

Wow - sounds fabulous!
Wx

Anonymous said...

YUM. I think I might have to try this out.
I'm going to a gumbo party on Saturday! It's so cool...everyone brings a different ingredient and then the host makes this giant batch of gumbo. It's a yearly thing and always delicious. :)