October 14, 2009

My Eyes Were Opened...

"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act." Prov. 24:12

Wow, this verse struck me in a profound way.

Actually, it was more like a slap across the face.

What have I been thinking? In the past year or so there has been a few things occur in my life that made me stand back and tell myself that I need to get off my selfish rear and do something to make a difference in the world. Of course, the world has kept right on turning and I have remained firmly planted on my rear.

Isn't it odd how grief and fear can snap you in to reality? Apparently in my case that snap has been brief and fleeting. Well, nothing like a very direct bible verse to remind one of their broken promises. Those promises made in times of panic and distress, I promise to do X if only You will do Y.

A few months ago my precious nephew was stricken with a rare type of migraine. He has always been a healthy, thriving, funny, lovable, athletic kid. This child stole my heart the very moment he came in to this world and I can honestly say until that time I had never known a love that strong.

You see, I don't have kids of my own - he belongs to my "little brother" and his beautiful wife and I have been immensely blessed as they have always fully and completely shared him with me. (Come to think of it she has offered to give him to me a couple of times!)

Three years later his sister came along. I was worried before she got here. I honestly didn't think I could love another child with the magnitude that I loved him but guess what? She is amazing - love is an amazing thing!

Anyway, on with my story...

My nephew is 15 now. The day of the "incident" was like any other summer day for a 15 year old. He was be-bopping through life, went to soccer practice (it was over 100 degrees that day), tried to con his Mom in to letting him drive home, had a little dinner but then, all of a sudden, something wasn't right. He developed a slight headache and then became sick at his stomach and then, all of a sudden, he couldn't speak...his words became babbles...

His Mom called 911...

The paramedics arrived and checked his vitals and he became a little more lucid...they suggested maybe he had gotten too hot...maybe he was okay now...

But his Mom and Dad knew something just wasn't right...he was transported to the local ER...on the way there things went from bad to much, much worse.

My husband and I were called. We live nearby and we actually beat the ambulance to the hospital. When I first saw him his eyes were glazed over, his speech was very slurred and he was very agitated but he was still my sweet, sweet boy. He actually looked up at me and said, "hi Mim" but his eyes were very confused. Sheer terror swept through me. There was something very wrong.

The doctor and nurses immediately declared that he was on drugs. One nurse actually said, "it's ecstasy, I've seen it a million times".

Well, let me tell you something, I never wanted to be that person who says, "oh no, not my kid" but I knew, NOT THIS KID. He was tested for every "street drug" under the sun. All results were negative. Praise God.

As time went on he became more and more combative. The more sedatives he was given the more combative he became. The medical personnel were very perplexed.

The ER doctor was now on the phone consulting with specialists at Cook Children's hospital in Ft Worth. The doctor ordered a CT scan, a lumbar puncture and every type of blood test they could think of. Nothing. They did determine he was very dehydrated and began giving him fluids.

Four hours later things had become desperate. He was completely out of control and needed to be transported to Cook's. Unfortunately he was so combative that it couldn't be done without intebating him.

Throughout this ordeal I had prayed.
I prayed for him to be okay.
I prayed for the doctor and nurse to be kind and understanding.
I prayed for them to not hurt him.
I prayed for his Mom and Dad.
I prayed for him to not be on drugs.
I prayed for him to not have a neurological condition.

But when they said the word intubate I prayed for him to LIVE.

I promised God I would be a better person.
I would be a better Mimi.
A better wife.
A better sister, sister-in-law, daughter, step-mother, grand daughter.
I would be a better stranger and a better citizen.
Please just let my baby boy be okay.

He was transported by ambulance to the Cook Children's hospital.

When we arrived the staff there were truly gifts from God. They were amazing. They asked a million questions about him. Who he is, what he did and even though he was completely unconscious they spoke to him in the sweetest, kindest manner.

It was determined that he would remain intebated until the following day after they could run the necessary MRIs and other tests. It was important to them that he remain as comfortable and calm as possible.

The next day we met with several doctors - one who was a children's Neurologist. Within minutes of reviewing his test results and speaking with his Mom and Dad about their medical history it was determined he was suffering from something called a "confusional migraine".

Confusional migraines only occur in 5% of migraine suffers. The migraine was more than likely brought on by the combination of dehydration and heat. There is a chance he will never experience it again. If he does the doctor has given specific instructions on what should be done.

They brought him out of the sedation without a hitch. We were warned that due to the amount of sedation he had been given in the ER (enough to sedate a 300 pound man) it might take 24 to 48 hours for him to wake up enough to communicate with us once he was taken off the ventilator. He shocked everyone when after just a few minutes he opened his eyes and gave us the thumbs up when someone spoke to him and asked how he was feeling. Even the nurses were choked up!

He ended up spending four days in the ICU unit of Cook Children's Hospital in Ft Worth. He experienced an allergic reaction to one of the sedative drugs he was given in the ER and required observation and IV medication in order to work through the reaction.

Today, he is back to his
healthy, thriving, funny, lovable, athletic self.

As for me, I've got some promises to keep. My eyes were opened and I can't pretend that I don't know what to do. God weighs my heart and keeps my soul and holds me responsible to act.


Robynn's Ravings said...

OH! You touched my heart so much with this retelling of what happened to your nephew. How very frightening for all of you. I pray this IS the one and only episode he EVER experiences. You write in a very real and profound way. Thank you for that verse. What translation is that? I don't think I've ever read it in that way but it is one I want to memorize in THAT version. Boy, that's filled with responsibility isn't it? And I beLIEVE in responsibility.

Blessings to you and your dear nephew. PRAISES to GOD that he came out of this!!!!

Twincerely,Olga said...

stopping by from SITS!your post pulled on my heart! Hugs! I M NOW FOLLOWING

Mary K Brennan said...

What an ordeal. So glad everything worked out.
It's amazing what God will throw our ways sometimes.
Many blessings.

Karen said...

So glad he is doing well now.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post... You touched my heart. I can relate completely to what you're saying - been there, done that. Thank you for reminding me. I'm glad to hear that your nephew is going to be okay! I'm visiting from SITS and hope you have an awesome day!
pk @ Room Remix

Ellia C. Naturals said...

What a powerful testimony! Thank you for sharing how God has blessed you and your family. How true that H
e holds us accountable, but His patience is great also...He knows your heart :)

Mommy of Many said...

Thank God he is doing well now, I was holding my breath the entire I was reading the post. I too am now a loyal follower, and as soon as I finish reading about 10 more blogs I'm gonna get off of my behind and do something too! We are all too blessed not to be a blessing to others.

Anonymous said...

Hi There! Thank you for visiting me yesterday to celebrate my SITS Day! U are deeply appreciated!

I'm so joyful everything turned out well for your nephew.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

wow, what a post...thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet words!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

What a terrible experience that must have been for you and your family.
I'm so glad everything is fine.There is nothing worst when you see your child suffering and there is not much you can do. At that moment we promise so many things, but as long as we try our best God will understand because only he knows how we felt at that precise moment.

When my little boy was taken to the emergency and diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes I promised God so many things that honestly I can't even remember. All I can do is to try every day to be a better person then I was yesterday.

Stopping by from SITS.

just the five of us said...

Stopping by from SITS! Glad to read that your nephew is okay.

Have a great day:)

bj said...

Kim...this is an amazing story. I am so so happy that your boy is doing good..back to normal...and, I have no doubt whatsoever that your prayers made the differene. Prayer is so much more powerful than a lot of people realize. I am constantly amazed and stand in awe of our awesome God.
I was just reading your profile and learned for the first time that you have MS. I never would have known it...you are always so full of energy and a special, pretty glow about you. I will keep you in my prayers...along with that sweet boy that you love so much.
xo bj(aka jean)

Marie Ford said...

Wow Kim... What a story.. You spoke so well of the event that has happened in all of ya'lls lives. It's so amazing the things that God brings us to and brings us through. Everything is his choice and his decisions, even though we may often ask why or why us, Lord. Everything happens for a reason, even if we don't understand it. I'm so glad Taylor is fine. But your story was so heart touching, so real, so much like a dream that you wake up to and say Thank You Lord it wasn't real.....But as we all know prayer works, and God is great. I Love You All, and am so Thankful everything is now great.

Sarah said...

Wow! What a story and what a verse! It sure does provide the proverbial slap in the face, doesn't it?

Glad to hear your Nephew was OK. As for you, don't be too hard on yourself - we're only human :)

Just returning a visit from a SITSA.


Drew's Mom said...

Thank you for sharing his story... I'm so sorry your family had to go through that ordeal... My 5 year old was just diagnosed with migraines so this one really hit me. So glad to hear he came out of everything ok... xoxo

JaelCustomDesigns said...

Popping in from SITS!

What a touching story. I can relate to situations where I fell to my knees and began praying! And, yes we do have promises to keep don't we.

Now following your blog. :-)

Unknown said...

What a very touching heart felt post...I was affected!
This post really opened my eyes THANK YOU for making me remember my promises...

so glad you will be a part of our SSS-I am out visiting everyone on the linky if you have not received a q&a fro us please email me at
secretsantasoiree at gmail dot com so we can set you up

Melinda said...

Wow ... what a heartwrenching ordeal. I understand, truly. My 9 year old son has cystic fibrosis and your story brings back alot of that frustration and terror when we didn't know what was wrong with him.

Love the verse. Very convicting. And motivating. Just today, I was thinking how much I want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Your blog design is adorable. Thanks for visiting my blog this week. I am following you now. ;0)

j said...

I was praying as I read this that the story would have a good ending. I know that experience was horrifying for you and his parents. I am so thankful that they determined what was the matter, that he was indeed the kid you knew he was and not on drugs, and that he got good medical care.

God is good.

Anonymous said...

Whew, what an experience for all of your family. It's so frustrating when you have to fight your corner against the apparently experts. :)