January 4, 2012

El Camaleon...

While staying at the Fairmont Mayakoba The Señor and I spent a couple of half-days enjoying the Fairmont's golf course, the El Camaleon. The course was designed by Greg Norman and is home to Mexico's only PGA event. If the idea of attending this year's tournament appeals to you (I know it does me) mark your calendar for February 23rd through 26th. I wish I could say I would see you there but, unfortunately, it won't be happening this year!

The course is spectacular and was designed similar to the Mayakoba in that Norman took full advantage of the indigenous landscape by incorporating the land's limestone canals, jungle, mangroves, cenotes and; of course, beautiful oceanfront.

I should go ahead and admit in the spirit of honesty that I am not a golfer. I would love to be a golfer but I simply am not. If you ever saw me swing a golf a club you would understand why. I am however a golf-cart driver. I enjoy driving the cart. So, The Señor golfs, I drive and we in turn spend quality time together on the golf course.


A word about El Camaleon's golf carts. They are top of the line and equipped with GPS. This feature is extremely handy for the golfer as not only does said golfer receive yardage and hazard information from the system it also records each players score and will email score to said golfer should he wish to receive it. Yes, that is all fabulous if you are a golfer. However, what if you are merely a golf cart driver? Well, maybe not quiet so handy. Along with providing yardage information the GPS system tracks the location of the cart at all times. Should the cart perhaps travel in to an area the course hoo-ha's believe a cart should perhaps not travel then the #*#* cart shuts down and forces the driver to back out of said area. To add insult to injury the cart beeps incessantly much like a garbage truck until it is once again moving in the forward direction. I will just go ahead and tell you, this driver did not find that feature to be the least bit charming.

Here are a few shots of the course. If you're wondering why there aren't more it could possibly have something to do with that incessant beeping and the effect repetitive sound has on my nervous system.

The Clubhouse...

The Senor, preparing to conquer the game...


Not sure what I was shooting here - perhaps the pretty green grass!


He must have been asking for my expert caddying advice!


An empty cenote on the course...


And a second shot...


Oh, and I have got to tell you about this guy! He lives in some rocks on the side of the fairway. Just hangs out in the rocks over there and enjoys the sunshine. You have probably heard said that animals don't use the bathroom where they have to sleep. Well, let's just say that this guy was working on proving the point. Yes, he sauntered over on to that beautiful grass from his sunbathing area and we'll just say "used it" and sauntered back. I guess I have a sick sense of humor because I found this to be quiet amusing!


This shot is from a green that overlooks the ocean. The structure is one of the resort restaurants.


Serious concentration...


If only you could see those lovely water birds I was admiring...


A better shot of the restaurant from the green. Look closely and you can see a sliver of ocean to the left.


That's our very own casita in the background! Well, at least it was while we were guests of the resort!


And again...





Service at El Camaleon was top-notch from the moment we stepped on to the property until their representative delivered us back to the beautiful Mayakoba entrance. The El Camaleon staff were friendly, professional and attentive. I liked the check-in folks, I liked the pro-shop staff, I liked the service cart girls. I even liked the attendant who came and showed me the way when I took that one wrong turn that landed me in what their main hoo-ha's apparently considered to be a "non-cart" area. My favorite staff member of all though was the cart boy who upon my returning the cart handed me my very own ice-cold, cucumber-scented hand towel. After all, all I did was drive the cart!

No comments: